I few weeks ago I reached out to a wonderful young woman named Kimia, who guest writes for blogs all over, to do a guest post for this blog. She graciously accepted and we decided on a yummy food related post since it’s been so long since I have done one of these. I love her writing, and she has written for several of the blogs I currently follow. Like me, she is a medical student, and has an amazing talent for writing. So without further ado, here is the lovely Kimia’s Easy Meals for life on the go!
Hello to all you amazing old and new readers! My name is Kimia, a first-year medical student with a love for food, fitness, and fashion! I am so excited to be guest blogging, especially about one of my favorite topics: FOOD! As medical students, we all tend to forget to feed ourselves while studying pathways, learning about medications, and taking exams. But I have learned that a happy gut leads to a productive mind. When I am eating a mix of meat, fruits, and vegetables I tend to feel a lot more energized. So, I decided to share my secrets and document what I eat in a day. These meals are quick to make, keep your wallets happy, and taste delicious!
For breakfast, I usually like a lot of protein so I am not hungry while studying. This meal tastes more like dessert and keeps me going until about noon. The best part is, you can just make into a sandwich for those days on the go.
- 2 slices of whole wheat toast
- Justin’s classic almond butter
- Frozen bananas
- Fruit on the side
Lunch must be a light meal for me otherwise I fall asleep. This dish took me 15 minutes and I even had left overs to take for lunch the next day!
- Mix lean ground turkey with low sodium taco seasoning until it’s cooked.
- Add salsa (I like to add half a jar for every one packet of meat I use). Let it simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add one cup of fat free Mexican blend cheese and mix!
- Serve meat on lettuce with your favorite toppings (beans, corn, avocados)
- I like to pair it up with some chlorophyll water for those added nutritional benefits.
Salmon is my favorite dinner! It’s easy, delicious, and LITERALLY goes with any side. I like to mix it in with a salad for that added freshness.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees, season Salmon with Mrs. Dash seasoning(salt-free) and some lemon juice.
- Cook for 30 min. Add to kale, cherry tomatoes, salad mix, and mozzarella balls
- Dressing: Mix olive oil, balsamic vinegar, lemon juice, salt/pepper, and garlic sauce. I usually “eyeball” measurements depending how big my meal is. If your dressing is too thick after blending all the ingredients just add more balsamic vinegar!
I know that I LOVE to snack. But I also try to snack as healthy as I can to get all the fuel my body needs to keep studying those long hours. I usually try to get mixed nuts, fruit, or cheese sticks to calm my cravings.
I hope you enjoy these easy and quick recipes. Experimenting with different meals has provided me with a sense of purpose in the kitchen, like I have this new-found hobby that I was not aware of. I encourage you to spice it up in the kitchen (no pun intended) and share your next meal with me! You can always find me on Instagram @kimiaandmedicine.
Until next time,